Now that the winter months are upon us and the days are much colder, it's time to start thinking about ways to protect our hair from the damage that winter elements can cause. Here are a few tips that will help you maintain healthy, beautiful hair this season:
- Static can be a real problem when conditions are cold and dry. A great way to combat static is to use a good heat styling product for blow drying, such as Moroccan oil treatment, which can be used on dry hair before using a curling or flat iron.
- During the winter months, it's a great idea to treat your hair once a week to a deep conditioning regimen. This will help to replenish the moisture which tends to get depleted from things such as dry heat in your home and cold winter air. I recommend Kerastase fusion treatment to fit your hair needs or bumble & bumble quenching masque. These products provide a quick and easy way to lock moisture back into your hair.
- One alternative to consider, depending on your specific hair type, is to use a hair oil like Oribe Gold Lust Hair Oil after shampooing. It is like a liquid gold that nourishes dehydrated or color-treated hair and can be used on wet hair to blow-dry, or as a smooth and shine treatment on dry hair.
- I also find that if you can keep hair-washing to a maximum of two to three times a week in the winter months, this will prevent your hair from drying out too much. Also, make sure to dry your hair well before leaving the house. Not only will you help yourself avoid catching a cold, but the moisture in your hair combined with the cold air can add further damage to your hair by making it more brittle and dry.
- A regular trim is a great way to keep your hair healthy during the winter months. A light dusting of the ends every 4 to 6 weeks will help reduce the chance of dry splitting ends.
- Finally, one unexpected secret to keeping hair looking good in the winter is to invest in a humidifier. I know you're thinking that humidity equals frizzy hair, but when you have the heat on, the air in your home becomes very dry. I find the humidifier helps stop your hair and skin from feeling dry and staticky.
The bottom line: Be good to your hair, especially during these months when you can’t stop dreaming of that sun-drenched beach...anywhere!
Next month: The Best Look for that Black Tie Affair